Sunday, March 11, 2018

Music and Butterflies for FMS327

Hey Everyone!

I'm playing along with Freshly Made Sketches 327 today, and I just love this sketch!


I really like the jaunty angle of the dividing line near the bottom, and using any shape opens up a lot of possibilities! I have a couple ideas for my OnStage swaps floating around, and for this card I am using a kind of mash-up of a couple of those.

My card:
I tend to forget to use my background stamps, so I really wanted to incorporate the lovely Sheet Music into this card. 
Watercoloring is a trend that has really exploded lately, and I love it so much! I wanted to do a multi color wash in the background, but I had stamped my music panel on regular Whisper White which isn't the optimal paper for adding water to. What's a girl to do? Gesso to rescue!
Awhile back I saw a great tip from Nicole Watt at Pixel Maven's Retreat for watercoloring on any paper using Gesso. It's so easy to do (and fun!) and I knew I needed to try it out for this card! I did experiment on several paper types to see how it would hold up, and it works great for everything but Shimmery White CS- it covers the shimmer right up.
After I did my watercoloring on the panel I glued it down on a panel of black and used my Stampin' Trimmer to trim the black close to the edges of the main panel. With a border this thin, it was the best way for me to keep it straight and tidy.
Instead of using a banner to make a the divided area at the bottom, I cut a 3/4" wide piece out of the main panel at an angle, which made a great space to stamp my sentiment in Whisper White Craft ink. I then used dimensionals to adhere the panels to the Berry Burst card base to add some depth and dimension. I used the medium butterfly from the Butterflies Thinlits to make the black butterfly, and I added some rhinestones for a little sparkle.
I really love how this card turned out, and it would work in so many different colors! I think I may try it in some blues and greens next :)



Thanks for stopping by, and don't forget to check out the Freshly Made Sketches site for more inspiration.

Have a magical day!
Nina

5 comments:

  1. This could not be more gorgeous, Nina! I LOVE the ink spot below the butterfly and how you've cut the paper at a diagonal! I love everything about your card! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian! I’m really proud of this one, I’m so happy you love it!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous card! I love that musical background paper and that beautiful butterfly! Just love the rich colours! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The inkiness behind the butterfly is beautiful! Love the music background as well! Glad you joined us at FMS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nina ! You made me remember that I have not used my Musical Background stamp in ages ! I love the color swatch behind your butterfly ! Thanks for the inspiration with your pretty card !!

    ReplyDelete

InKing Royalty Blog Hop - Remember

Welcome to InKing Royalty's May Blog Hop! This year's Blog Hop themes are inspired by a single word - and this month our project...