Wednesday, November 28, 2018

We Are Family - InKing Royalty Blog Hop


Welcome to InKing Royalty's November Blog Hop! This year's Blog Hop themes are inspired by popular songs - this month's song is "We are Family." As you might guess, our Blog Hop today is filled with projects that are inspired by family - we have a wide variety of projects today! We are excited to share our creations with you today! After you read my post, I hope you'll hop over to the next person on the list at the base of this post. 

Hello everyone!
 I can't believe it's almost December! This year is just flying by and Christmas is fast approaching. Christmas is my favorite holiday, and for many reasons. One of my favorite things about Christmas are the holiday traditions. When I was growing up, one of my favorite Christmas traditions was making cookies with my Grandma. She would make buckeyes and so many stacks of cutout Christmas sugar cookies. I remember helping to frost all the trees and stockings and Santas...so many cookies, I don't know how she did it! She also made these little folded cookies with fruit filling that I believe are called Kolacky. I haven't had them since she passed over 20 years ago, and this year my goal is to find a good recipe and try my hand at making a batch to surprise my mom. If anyone out there has one they'd like to share with me, I'd be so grateful :)
 Christmas traditions are also what inspired my project today. A Christmas tradition I'm sure you are familiar with  are performances of The Nutcracker. The dance studio that my niece and daughter attend puts on a performance every December. My daughter is still too young to participate, but my niece has been performing for several years now. This year, my Mother-in-law is driving down from Michigan to surprise her and watch the performance. So since this year will be a little more special, I thought I would make her a special gift.

  Today's project:



Christmas Colors: I started my ornament with Festive Farmhouse DSP. It's such a pretty plaid, I knew it would make the perfect base. I made my rosette using 2 strips of DSP 1.5" x 12" long. The Rosette on the box used 2 strips of Cherry Cobbler CS 1"x 11" long.
Stay Frosty: One of my favorite (new to me) things in the Holiday Catalog are the shimmer paints. Here I used the Frost White, and I used it on the circles of Mossy Meadow on top of the Rosettes, and I also used it to cover the pizza box. I love that pretty dose of shimmery shine!
O, Candy Cane: The candy canes are not only a Christmas staple, it's also one of my nieces roles this year. Obviously, a candy cane was a must!
A Personal Touch: Last, but not least, the finishing touch was to add her name to the box, and the year to the ornament. I did both using the Make A Difference stamp set.



These cousins are as thick as thieves! My Natalie (L) and her favorite Belle Belle (R)



Thank you for stopping by today.  I hope you'll hop along to the next stop on the blog hop, Sue Jackson at Just Peachy Stamping . There's lots of inspiration to be found in this group - and you don't want to miss it!


Have a magical day!
Nina





Thank you for hopping along with us.  If you get stuck during the Blog Hop, please use this line-up as a guide:
  1. Brian King at Stamp with Brian
  2. Candy Ford at Stamp Candy
  3. Robbye Hamilton at Miss Hammie's Crafts
  4. Lynn Kolcun at Avery's Owlery
  5. Allison Okamitsu at Nice People Stamp
  6. Jackie Beers at Blue Line Stamping
  7. Jennifer Spiller at Westside Paper Creations
  8. Nina King at InkPaperSequins    <you are here
  9. Sue Jackson at Just Peachy Stamping
  10. Julie DiMatteo at The Paper Pixie
  11. Shawn de Oliveira at Shawn Stamps


10 comments:

  1. Buckeyes and sugar cookies - sounds like my kind of party! I love this ornament, Nina, and how you've wrapped it and personalized it! Such fun to make special memories for your family. <3 So happy you hopped with us today! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buckeyes were always my most favorite :) I love to make things tailored to the recipient, it really makes an impact. Thanks for your kind comments! :)

      Delete
  2. What a precious gift, Nina. All the Christmas traditions really are fun! I hope you get to make those cookies. My grandmother also made cookies .All sorts of cookies but her specialty was fruitcake cookies. The kitchen was always such a source of happy memories at her house. Anyway, hope the cusins have a wonderful Nutcracker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! So many of my best memories of my Grandma involve her baking and her parties. She always had the best parties! Unfortunately, her recipes have disappeared and I think I will just have to start over. I know she would be happy I'm carrying on the traditions just the same :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Candy :) The kid is a Christmas nut, so I knew an ornament would be a great keepsake for this occasion.

      Delete
  4. What a great use of the pizza box ~ an ornament gift box. Your rosette is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue :) Those little pizza boxes are just perfect for gift giving, and this ornament was just right

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely and thoughtful personalized gift! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also remember baking Buckeyes with my grandmother! It brings back such fond memories for me! Thank you for that! I'd like to know the measurements of your circles and how you made your ornament? I want to CASE your idea to make gift tags as gifts. Your's are so pretty. I don't have the candy cane, so I'll use something else that's special to the person they are for! Again, TFS!

    ReplyDelete

InKing Royalty Blog Hop - Remember

Welcome to InKing Royalty's May Blog Hop! This year's Blog Hop themes are inspired by a single word - and this month our project...